Hair

[Wash Day] a much needed moisture boost

Copy of Wash Day16 weeks postSince my last wash day my hair has been feeling rather dry, I did moisturise using the LCO method midweek. This helped a wee bit and it was back to dryness again. Therefore for this wash day I decided to give my hair a much needed moisture boost. Here is what went down…
wpid-11080067.jpg

• Prepoo Coconut oil. I sat under my heating cap for 15 minutes.
  • Shampoo BodyShop Rainforest Moisture, my hair felt oily after shampooing, I had to shampoo again, it felt better after the second shampoo but still not great.
  • Instant conditioner Watson Repairing Treatment Conditioner with honey, after rinsing out the conditioner my hair felt clean.
  • Deep Conditioner Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator, I steamed it into the hair using my hand held steamer. My hair did not respond to this product as it usually does 🙁 – it left my hair soft but not the buttery softness I am used to with this product
  • Leave-In ElastaQP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Leave-In conditioner. It was my first time using it, I think it worked well, I like its consistency, the smell did linger a bit after I had used it.
  • Moisturising and sealing Afrobotanics Conditioning Moisturiser and Jojoba Oil.
  • Styling I am wigging this week. I separated the hair into 4 and did a single plait per quad and tucked it in.

My 27 week post hair is getting harder and harder to manage, the detangling step before I started with prepooing took me about 45 minutes – because my hair was dry, I had to be extra careful. I am experiencing some breakage, the shedding is quite minimal. My hair felt aight after this wash day, not overly soft or hard. I will keep on monitoring it over the week.27 weeks post relaxer

27 weeks post relaxer. transitioning hair

Which products/tools/techniques do you use to combat dry hair?

Previous Post Next Post

If you liked this post, you may also like

10 Comments

• Reply Uzoma | Don't Touch The Hair

Sorry about the breakage and dryness, Lungi. Using a good protein-free deep conditioner (with heat) usually helps me combat dryness. Lately, I find that I don’t need to moisturize my hair everyday because of the moisture from the deep conditioning process.

November 11, 2015 at 13:32
    • Reply Lungi

Thanks for the suggestion Uzo, I will use a moisture DC my next wash day. My hair felt very soft while I still had the braids but I lost all that now.

November 11, 2015 at 15:38
  • Reply Lebo

Quick Question… always wanted to ask, when you pre poo with oil do you rinse before shampooing or do you shampoo over it?

November 11, 2015 at 14:20
    • Reply Lungi

I just shampoo over it

November 11, 2015 at 15:35
  • Reply Jay | Relaxed Thairapy

Sorry about the breakage and dryness. It can be exhausting having to manage varying texturing. I’m 70 weeks post right now and I’ve lost all motiviation to fool with my hair. Thank goodness there are wigs for that.

A good pre-poo and deep conditioning session is how I combat dryness.

November 13, 2015 at 01:11
    • Reply Lungi

I agree, wigs are best when you just want to leave your hair alone.
      a 70 week stretch is a lot time, but it seems like you have it all under control

November 16, 2015 at 14:21
  • Reply Bonolo

Hey Lungi!
    I’m also transitioning but 36 weeks post. I’m struggling with dryness and breakage too 🙁

I’m SERIOUSLY thinking of getting a curly wig to get me through the terrible hair days between my braid installations. I look terrible with awkward length new growth

November 17, 2015 at 23:33
    • Reply Lungi

Hey Bonolo, 36 weeks post! yikes, that is a while. Do you know when you will end your transition?
      Wigs are everything for transitioning hair, any protective style really – gets your mind off your hair for a bit.

November 18, 2015 at 09:41
  • Reply Bonolo

Sorry for the late reply, been writing exams.

I initially planned on transitioning for a year but if things go smoothly, I want to push it to around 18 months.

November 21, 2015 at 20:46
    • Reply Lungi

Cool Bonolo, all the best for your exams and the transition 🙂

November 23, 2015 at 09:15