Hair

1 year of natural hair: thoughts & lessons

1 year after big chop 4c natural african hair

I have been rocking my hair in its natural state for just over a year now  after going through a 7 month transition and I have been enjoying it! There has been a joy and satisfaction that has come from taking care of my natural hair the right way for the first time in my life and watching it grow and do things that I never thought it could do. As my hair has grown, I have been able to experiment with styling, get creative with it and learn some protective styling skills.

Some of my musings about my hair currently and my experiences this past year:

• Taking care of natural hair is not easy by a long shot, it can be time consuming – I usually have to spread my wash day over a whole weekend depending on the style I will do after the wash day.
  • It is easy to get caught up in the product game – especially with the onslaught of products target for natural hair in the market. From early on in this journey I decided to limit the products that I use, now I pretty much use the same products over and over again.
  • I am so happy to have learnt how to flat twist my hair because it has opened up a whole new world it terms of styling, i.e. doing my ow crochet braids and twists.
  • Kinky extensions are your friend: I have used Marley hair extensively this past year to help me with styling, with my fave ‘do being the top knot.
  • I am enjoying my hair more now as it’s getting longer;  I can be more experimental with styling. I am looking forward to gaining more length.
  • Shrinkage is the devil! Not because it doesn’t show off your true length, but because it produces one of the worst things any natural haired lady can experience: single strand knots. I embraced shrinkage when my hair was shorter, now I steer clear of it by keeping my hair stretched at most times.

I have compiled a short video which shows my journey over this past 1 year of natural hair. Enjoy!

Previous Post Next Post

If you liked this post, you may also like

8 Comments

• Reply Lebo Kuty

It is hard caring natural hair but it is so worth it!! Thank you for sharing

December 12, 2016 at 09:34
  • Reply Lebogang

Thats true with natural hair patience is a virtue we must master, and not to mention trial and error of finding the right products.

December 12, 2016 at 10:47
  • Reply Nosie

Natural hair is time consuming but it is worth it at the end.

December 12, 2016 at 12:09
  • Reply Mvumikazi

Yhuuu babes. It really is satisfying . . .even when you hangry in there fighting yourself and the urge to just relax or weave b/c the hair isn’t growing that satisfaction you feel after a successful was day makes worth it. Hopefully my more active lifestyle will trigger some growth in a fewe months

Mvumikazi | Urban Mnguni

December 12, 2016 at 23:23
  • Reply Frances

I totally enjoy reading your blog, quite late yes but I am really learning a lot from you. I recently started my own natural hair journey and blog so it’s encouraging seeing things like this. Would really like it you can check it out https://frochiclife.blogspot.com.ng/?m=1

July 29, 2017 at 12:49
    • Reply Lungi

Thank you for hte support Frances, I’ll check out your blog.

August 10, 2017 at 09:26
  • Reply Mpumi

Thank you so much for the post, when I did my big chop last year October I thought having natural hair was easy to take off. Jesus was I wrong but I have to say that weaves and braids have been a life saver. I’m I the only one who has serious shrinkage issues? By the way, I love your blog 🙂

November 6, 2017 at 16:38
    • Reply Lungi

You’re welcome Mpump! Natural hair is a lot! especially if you want to take good care of it. I’m glad you have found your groove. I have learnt to accept and embrace shrinkage, fighting it has been very time and energy consuming.

November 8, 2017 at 12:59