I touched up my new growth on the 11th of January. I self relaxed using ORS Olive Oil No-Lye Hair Relaxer in medium strength, this is the 4th time I am doing it and I am becoming better each time and I *think* I have it on lockdown now. I did the half and half method which I am a fan of because it gives me more time to get the job done. I followed these steps:
- Sectioned my hair in 4, and further sectioned each quad. I ended up with 4 sections/quad at the back and 6 sections/quad at the front. I twisted each section
- Applied JEBA Naturals Hair Food to my previously relaxed hair – I really laid it on thick
- Covered the back section of my hair with 2 shower caps and help them down with clips
- Applied good ol’ Vaseline to the perimeter and on my ears
- Applied the relaxer to my new growth and smoothed – I had the relaxer on my hair for 12.5 minutes
- Rinsed and used SunSilk Neutralising Shampoo until the suds were white. T-shirt dried that section
- Applied more JEBA Naturals Hair Food on the whole front section of my hair and covered that with 2 shower caps and help them down with clips
- Repeated step 4-6 on the back section of the hair
- Shampooed my whole head with ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo – again, as last time, my hair was letting off a very chemicall-y smell which I didn’t get when I was using the SunSilk shampoo
- Deep conditioned using the ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak mixed with glycerine and some of my JBCO oil mix. I DCed with heat for 45 minutes
- Rinsed that off, sprayed ACV solution on the hair and applied my leave-ins: Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-In Conditioner and Motions CPR Triple Action Leave-In Conditioner
- Blowdried using warm air
- Applied heat protector CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal Protection Spray
- Flat ironed
My ends are in definite need of a trim – which I am planning to do in the next few days. And as for the breakage in the middle of my head *boo hoo* I was expecting it though because I could definitely feel some thinness of the hair before I had relaxed. I have not assessed the degree of texlaxed-ness of my hair properly, I will do so at my next wash because I plan to air-dry the hair.
So this is what I am working with for the rest of the year, I plan to halt the breakage in the middle of my hair – I am working on a plan for that, and I need to pay more attention to my ends: keep them moisturised and hidden most of the time.
I have been enjoying wearing my hair out these last couple of days – it has been a bit windy in my city and I have been enjoying the *hair flying in the wind* moments whenever I step outside 🙂 – it is very important for me to have days when I have my hair out and enjoy the fruits of my labour because this healthy hair business does take some work!
I am planning for my next relaxer in 16 weeks.