I just thought to hop on and give me feelings about my fist real wigging stint that I have just completed. I wore the protective style for 5 weeks in total, 1 week with my hair loosely braided and 4 weeks with my hair in a beehive cornrow pattern.
What I liked:
- I was able to change my look in 2 seconds
- I enjoyed having access to my hair for easy wash days and scalp massages
- The style is virtually maintenance free other than moisturising, and my washes every 2 weeks
- My hair took a break from daily manipulation
Not so much:
- I wore the wig in the height of summer and the heat was sometimes unbearable
- I had a headache the first few days I wore the wig, which luckily subsided after I chose not to wear the satin bonnet underneath.
- On some days I experience excessive itchiness around the neck (I was constantly scratching)
What I will do next time:
- A wig with a bigger cap so I can wear a satin bonnet underneath my wig cap to prevent my hair from losing too much moisture
- A longer/shorter wig so that the ends aren’t on my neck
- Undo my cornrows and detangle my hair after 2, maximum 3 weeks and re-braid
The best feeling ever was taking off the wig when I got home from work! that feeling is like nothing on earth, I can’t decide on which is better: taking off the wig or taking off my bra at the end of the work day. I did find though that I could not handle the wig over the weekends OMG! the first weekend I tried, I already took the wig off and wrapped my hair in a scarf by Saturday afternoon. So for the subsequent weekends, I was always in a headwrap of sorts.
I definitely will be wigging again, I am planning to have it as my main method of protective styling at least for the remainder of this stretch and my next relaxer stretch.
Some of my headwrap looks