I have been rocking my hair in its natural state for just over a year now after going through a 7 month transition and I have been enjoying it! There has been a joy and satisfaction that has come from taking care of my natural hair the right way for the first time in my life and watching it grow and do things that I never thought it could do. As my hair has grown, I have been able to experiment with styling, get creative with it and learn some protective styling skills.
Some of my musings about my hair currently and my experiences this past year:
- Taking care of natural hair is not easy by a long shot, it can be time consuming – I usually have to spread my wash day over a whole weekend depending on the style I will do after the wash day.
- It is easy to get caught up in the product game – especially with the onslaught of products target for natural hair in the market. From early on in this journey I decided to limit the products that I use, now I pretty much use the same products over and over again.
- I am so happy to have learnt how to flat twist my hair because it has opened up a whole new world it terms of styling, i.e. doing my ow crochet braids and twists.
- Kinky extensions are your friend: I have used Marley hair extensively this past year to help me with styling, with my fave ‘do being the top knot.
- I am enjoying my hair more now as it’s getting longer; I can be more experimental with styling. I am looking forward to gaining more length.
- Shrinkage is the devil! Not because it doesn’t show off your true length, but because it produces one of the worst things any natural haired lady can experience: single strand knots. I embraced shrinkage when my hair was shorter, now I steer clear of it by keeping my hair stretched at most times.
I have compiled a short video which shows my journey over this past 1 year of natural hair. Enjoy!