I didn’t eat soup for like the first 26 years of my life and all I can say is that it was a dark time in my life. Since moving over the the good side of life, soup has become a firm staple in my winter diet. I love a simple, hearty and smooth soup with a side of garlic bread, I 100% recommend! Read below for my winter warmer veggie soup recipe.
The ingredients of this soup are basically any vegetables that I have in my cupboard and fridge at the time. The veggies that are always present though are: butternut, carrots and potatoes. In the past I’ve added sweet potatoes and broccoli (click here for my broccoli soup recipe).
I have 2 ways of makin this soup: roasting in the oven then finishing off on the stove top or I do it all in the pressure cooker, you can also do it all on the stove. I must stay I haven’t noticed a massive taste difference between the 2 methods so I prefer using the pressure cooker because it’s much more easier and quicker.
How to make it
– Chop all the veggies into chunks
– Saute the vegetables in oil/butter for 5 minutes
– Add spices – I add: cinammon, nutmeg and paprika. Other spices/flavours you can add are garlic powder, onion powder and coriander.
– Stir and saute for a further 2 minutes
– Add veggie stock – enough to cover the vegetables.
– Cook until veggies are soft
– Blend to your desired consistency – add cream and salt if required
– Make sure to to put too much water at the beginning or your soup might become too runny
– You can leave some veggies whole in the soup if you like to chew on something
– If you’re doing the roasting method, you roast the veggies till cooked then you transfer them into a pot and add the stock and blend
– You can use a ready made veggie stock, or make your own or even use stock cubes if you wish
Let me know if you try this winter warmer veggie soup recipe and how it turns out!
You can pin this graphic for later